In honor of posting my first blog recipe on Super Bowl Sunday, I thought I would start with my husband’s super delicious game chili. When I say game, I don’t mean football. I am actually referring to the fact that he uses his game (wild meat) in this recipe. This time around we used Elk but we have used buffalo, venison (deer), and regular beef. Our favorite way to prepare it is with cubed meat but it can be prepared with ground meat as well.
This recipe is packed with an estimated 27.2 grams of protein per serving (12.2 without the meat) and is full of vitamin C. This is great for cold weather and cold season!
When viewing recipes on home page, click here to see full recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds meat of your choice (we've used Elk, Buffalo, Venison, or Beef)
- 1teaspoon steak seasoning, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or grape seed oil
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 3 bell peppers (we used one red, one green, and two small orange), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced or pressed
- 15.5 ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained
- 15.5 ounce can pinto beans (often called chili beans), drained
- 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained
- 15.5 ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 2 - 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 cup water (or one empty tomato can of water), optional
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Cook time: 3 hours
- Servings: 10
- Difficulty: easy
1. Dice onions, peppers (discarding seeds and white insides), and garlic.
2. Carefully heat oil in a large skillet or wok. Saute onion, peppers, and garlic in oil over medium heat. Put in large slow cooker or large pot. (This recipe simmers well on the stove OR in the slow cooker.)
3. Drain and rinse beans. Add beans to pot or slow cooker.
4. If you are using unground meat, cube meat to bite sized pieces.
5. Sprinkle the cubed (or ground) meat with steak seasoning and brown in oil over medium high heat.
6. Add meat and all remaining ingredients (use the optional water for a thiner consistency) into pot or slow cooker and gently mix. Heat on low for 3 or more hours to blend the flavors.
Serve topped with cheese and plain yogurt (a great substitute for sour cream).